Most people have a to-do list; I have a to-eat list. I’m pretty sure that doesn’t require any more explanation, but in case it does, it’s THINGS I WANT TO EAT.
TO-EAT LIST (Not in priority order)
- Chorizo slaw at Manoa Poke – I recently experienced my first poke (it’s pronounced poké, pervs), thanks to my friend, Matt. It’s warm sushi rice with sushi toppings. It. Was. Awesome. Traditionally, you choose one “side” (although they mix it in, which is usually sacrilege to me, but in this case it was okay), and I had the kimchee cucumber, but a friend recommends the chorizo slaw. Considering how good everything else from Manoa Poke was, I’m all for it.
- The “secret burger” at Alden & Harlow – I’ve been to Alden & Harlow twice now. Once for dinner, where we sat within view of the kitchen, where we could see — and smell — the secret burger. By the time we placed our order, they were all out. Curses! No worries, we went back again for brunch. After we’d ordered about 19 dishes apiece, my friend Jean timidly asked if we should also order a burger and split one, but I’m pretty sure Matty shamed me out of it with his silent (possibly imagined) judging. Never again.
- Cadbury Creme Egg shots – My friend Lindsay sent me this recipe recently, and sadly, I had all the ingredients except Kahlua. Still got a few CCEs lying around, so this could still be a reality. Before you leave for France, Lindsay. Make a note. (And buy some Kahlua.)
- Frosé (How is it possible I haven’t had this yet?) – I pretty much drink rosé all summer, and often all day (at least, according to my t-shirt). So it seems incredibly wrong that I haven’t had frosé. Carissa, you in?
- Luke’s lobster roll – I’ve had B&G’s (awesome), Row 34 (awesomer), and Neptune’s (awesomest). Curious to see how this one stacks up.
- Ramen at Yume Wo Katare – my friend Becca told me about this place, specifically that they ask you what your dream is and you say it out loud in front of everyone. That sounds kind of cool. I hope it’s not too meta if I say eating ramen at Yume Wo Katare is my dream. Also, I love ramen.
- Extra Toasty (aka, burnt) Cheez Its – Just the burnt kind! How awesome is that?
- Nachos at the Painted Burro – if you know me at all, you know that saying I’m a nachos fan is like saying George RR Martin is a fan of killing off characters. Next Project Beer & Nachos date is happening at Painted Burro. You in, Nancy?
- Shakalatkes – these are Shakshuka over latkes that Inna’s Kitchen in Boston Public Market makes. Full confession: I’ve already had these, but I dream about them.
- Everything at O Ya – I’ve been lucky enough to go here twice, which makes me pretty much on par with Serena Vanderwoodsen and Ryan Reynolds, my celebrity best friends. I went once with my friend Jessica and once with my dad, and I can’t really rest until I’ve had everything on the menu.
What have I missed? Submit your nominations to the To-Eat list in the comments.