I realize I need to get better about blogging more frequently. Part of my slowness is that I treat every post like it needs to be some precious treaty that I spend 17 hours on. AND YES I REALIZE I’M SETTING MYSELF UP FOR A, “REALLY? BECAUSE IT DOES NOT SEEM THAT WAY AT ALL” COMMENT. So here goes with a throwaway potpourri post that I’m going to give myself exactly one Pomodoro session to write.
Here are some interesting things that happened this week:
- We have a magic corner at the end of our street where some delightful person puts out the highest quality giveaways. We’ve found high-quality canned dog food, a whiteboard, and most recently, this Ludacrisly cool mug:
2. Here’s a life hack I just discovered. Wegman’s has these flower bouquets for $4.60 and very reasonably priced wine. If you throw those in your grocery delivery order, you can have some guy bring you wine and flowers anytime you want! Five stars, Greg, five stars.
3. In exciting news, Rocky and Rosie are officially best friends now. They follow each other around and I’ve caught them giving each other a kiss several times, once after Rocky barreled past Rosie on the stairs and she whimpered. He came back and they touched noses, like an apology.
4. While the fauna is alright, the flora in my life is hit or miss. Hits include my favorite tree, our cherry blossom tree that makes what the kids call “pink snow,” swoon, and this what-I’m-gonna-call-Rhododendron (Matty disagrees, but my friend Zadie and Inaturalist agree with me) that is totally killing it. Misses include this basil plant, which I bought at the Curley School plant sale Mother’s Day weekend and killed in two short weeks. This marks approximately the 20th basil plant I have killed. Guess I’ll have my Caprese salad without basil, like some kind of monster.
5. Do you have any idea how simultaneously awesome and horrible it is to live about 2 blocks away from an incredible bakery? It also happens to conveniently fall right at the end of my one-mile run route.
6. Is there such a thing as a hate-subscription? I subscribe to US Weekly, but I find myself increasingly disappointed by their content. There’s only so many times I can get excited about the stars being just like US because they “feed the meter.” Then I got to Dorit Kemsley’s (Who? Exactly) 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me and this was her #1:
7. I don’t want to jinx things, but doesn’t it feel like we’re sort of, kind of, almost getting back to closer-to-normal life?
This weekend, we had soccer games for each kid, went to a crawfish boil, and played some mini golf with George’s bestie from preschool, Henry, and his family. Highlights included two goals for each kid, getting to hug friends and drink outside with them and those potatoes, Hazy scoring two holes-in-one, and Henry teaching George to armpit fart (I know, we’ve been seriously derelict). Also, I came *this* close to beating Matty at mini golf; he ended up winning by 1 stroke because I choked on the last hole. I feel like with the right explosives and a pesky varmint, my Cinderella story will still come someday.
8. Other things that happened this week that I’m gonna yada-yada even though they’re just as good as the lobster bisque: took a writing class, went on an evening walk with a long lost friend, submitted two essays for publication, had a great chat with a potential future professional collaborator, ran 5 miles including 2 “up a mountain” with my training club, heard a (revised) Powerpoint presentation by George on why he deserves a new NERF gun, loaded two NERF guns to the gills with ammo and successfully ambushed a crew of boys playing video games (put that in your powerpoint, George!), fell in love with and bought a Banjanan summer dress from TJ Maxx. Plus, Hazy got her first vaccination shot!
Fun fact: did you know that you can follow this blog and then get an email whenever I write a new post? Man, wouldn’t that be cool.
2 thoughts on “Week/end Update May 16th”
Ok, so it is a Rhododendron 100% and your basil plant is beyond dry. I am ready to quit US weekly too. LAME city. I mean, how many Royal updates can we get ?
LikeLiked by 1 person
We don’t care about the royals! (Except Meghan)